We have plans in place to work with the emergency services, the Environment Agency, the military and voluntary agencies to respond and recover from major incidents. We must keep main council services running and co-ordinate what voluntary groups do to help.

What to do in an emergency

  • to report an emergency incident, contact the emergency services immediately on telephone: 999
  • do not report emergencies directly to the council

Find out more about what to do if there is an emergency via North Yorkshire Local Resilience Forum (NYLRF) or download our 'R U prepared?' booklet to find out more about the measures you can take, so you know what to do in an emergency, to help keep you and your family safe.

Major incidents

Major incidents require the emergency services, the NHS or the council to follow special plans to deal with them.

Major incidents may include:

  • natural disasters, for example, floods
  • pollution
  • terrorism

Find out about our The Major Incident Response Team (MIRT).

The emergency plan

If the emergency services tell us there is a major incident, we will follow the instructions in our emergency plan.

Our plan says how we'll co-ordinate:

  • road diversions
  • equipment needed to tackle the incident
  • centres for you to go to if you cannot get to your home
  • temporary mortuaries

Our plan also includes how we let people know what's happened. If a hotline number is needed, it will be advertised in the local press, TV and radio.

City centre evacuation plan

Our City Centre Evacuation Plan (CCEP) is designed to help us (together with the emergency services) to manage an orderly evacuation of part, or all, of the area within the city walls, during a major incident.

City centre access for vehicles

Temporary security measures are currently providing extra protection in York. To increase the safety of businesses, residents and visitors we’ve reviewed city centre access for vehicles and introduced new vehicle restrictions.

Also see

Comment on this page