York Equality Strategy 2016 to 2020
The York Equality Strategy, A Fairer York, is a vision for an equal, inclusive and welcoming council and city. It is about our approach to making sure that everyone enjoys the excellent quality of life our city offers.
The strategy invites everyone in the city; councillors, council officers, residents and visitors the opportunity to be part of making York a fairer city, so that we can all enjoy a good quality of life, regardless of who we are, where we live, or our differences such as age, race or sexuality. Finally, the scheme will help the council meet the Duties it has under the Equality Act 2010.
The York Equality Strategy has seven priority outcomes these are:
- all residents can share in the benefits of York’s comparative economic strength
- all residents have equal access to job opportunities and fair working conditions
- people most in need of support have the opportunities to gain new skills and qualifications
- the attainment gap between children living in low income families and their peers is narrowing
- the gap in health and wellbeing between the least and most deprived people in the city is narrowing
- people feel supported to live independently and are treated with dignity and respect
- york is a place where everyone feels welcome, a place where people feel safe, valued and are able to have influence in their community