Abuse can happen anywhere including at home, in care homes or in day care centres or hospitals. It may be a single act or take place over a longer period of time.
Report adult abuse
If you're not sure what to do to protect a vulnerable adult, our adult social care team can give you advice.
To report a crime:
- in an emergency, contact the police, tel: 999
- if the person is not in immediate danger, contact the police, tel: 101
To report a safeguarding concern:
- contact adult social care, tel: 01904 555111 (office hours) or fax 01904 554055
- hearing impaired customers can use the text facility 07534 437804 and generic fax number 01904 554017
- out of hours, tel: 01609 534527
- use the Safeguarding Adults 'concern form' and return this by email or post to Adult Social Care
- or find out how to report child abuse
Once you report the suspected abuse our Safeguarding Adults Team will look carefully at the situation. This may lead to a full investigation which follows our safeguarding protocols and may involve health services and the Police if a crime is suspected of being committed. We will be guided by what the person at risk of abuse/being abused wants to happen and will work closely with them or their representative throughout.
We will take steps to:
- ensure the adult at risk is protected in the future
- speak to the Police if a criminal offence has been committed
City of York Safeguarding Adults Board (SAB)
The Safeguarding Adults Board is a multi-agency partnership with a wide ranging membership of representatives from statutory, independent and voluntary organisations, including the police, health partners and independent care providers. Its role is to ensure that people in York are safeguarded from abuse by making sure procedures and processes are in place.
The following details may also be helpful to you:
- Action on Elder Abuse, tel: 08088 088141
- Victim Support Helpline, tel: 0808 1689111
- The Samaritans, tel: 08457 909090
- Age UK, tel: 0800 1696565
- Shelter, tel: 0808 800 4444
- BT Nuisance Call Advice, tel: 0800 661441
- Women’s Aid, tel: 0808 2000247
- The Care Quality Commission, tel: 0191 2333323
- North Yorkshire Police, tel: 01904 618691, 101, or in an emergency 999
Safeguarding peer review
In 2017 the council invited peers in to review York's adult social care and safeguarding services. The review, which took place between 23 and 25 January, was requested by the council to assess how York might improve the outcomes for people accessing social care services, in particular how the council and partners promote safeguarding. In April the full safeguarding peer review was published.