Although you're committed to your caring role, you also have a right to a life of your own and taking part in any leisure or social activities you enjoy.
Free and discounted admission
York Carers Centre has a free discount card for carers that can save you money at nearly 50 local businesses - a wide range of shops, services, restaurants and gyms are taking part. This is available to all carers who register with the Centre.
A number of businesses allow free or discounted admission when a carer needs to escort someone with a disability. Remember to ask about 'discount for carers' when you're out and about, as businesseshave their own eligibility criteria.
Each year in June, Carers Week highlights the vital work done by carers and raises awareness of the issues they face.
There are a number of events and activities for carers, which aim to:
- highlight and celebrate the contribution made by carers
- campaign for better support and services for carers
- promote policies and best practice that can improve carers' quality of life
- reach out to 'hidden' carers, ensuring they know where to find help and support
York Carers Centre has details of local events.
Cafés and groups
There's a number of specialist groups and cafés aimed to provide a supportive environment for people with dementia and their carers.
Many of these are organised by the Alzheimers Society - contact the Selby and York Office for further information:
- Selby and York Office, Suites G4, G5 and G12, IT Centre, Innovation Way, Heslington, York, YO10 5NP
- telephone: 01904 567701
- email: email@example.com