We don’t look for specific types of people, we look for the skills and experience which make people suitable to adopt a child. We also provide training and support to build on the abilities you already have so it’s more about your potential than where you are now. We recognise that it’s not just children who grow: parents do too!
- You can be single, married or in a stable long term relationship
- Your sexual orientation is not an issue
- You may already have children of your own
- You may not yet be a parent
- You can be from any ethnic group or religion
There are some basic criteria you need to meet to be able to apply to adopt children:
- You need to be at least 21 years of age
- You need to have enough space in your home to provide for a child
- If you have criminal convictions for most violent offences or any offences against children we will not be able to take your application forward
- Smoking does not automatically rule you out from adopting. However, if you wish to adopt children under five and those with particular medical conditions you are likely to need to be smoke free for six months before making an application (this includes E cigarettes or vaping). If you are interested in adopting a child over five and smoke please discuss this with us.
- We also ask that you have completed any fertility treatment, have given yourself time and now feel ready to consider adoption (please speak to us about your circumstances).
We are proactively seeking families from a wide range of backgrounds who can build trusting relationships with our children and meet their needs throughout life. If you'd like to discuss your circumstances and what you can offer a child, please get in touch.
- Adopting in York
- Which children need adopting?
- The adoption process
- See adoptive family profiles
- Come to an info evening