Our YorWellbeing service offers free support for all York residents to help them stop smoking.
Did you know..?
- you are 3 times more likely to quit with help and support
- someone who smokes 20 cigarettes a day can save over £2,500 per year if they stop smoking
- between 2 weeks to 3 months after you stop smoking, your heart attack risk will have started to drop and your lung function will begin to improve
Our service provides courses which can support you to change your smoking behaviours, and advise you which medications to buy, if necessary.
For more information or to make an appointment, contact our YorWellbeing team on telephone: 01904 553377.
Priority referrals for pregnant women or patients waiting for surgery
12 weeks' free nicotine replacement therapy (NRT) is available for pregnant women.
Healthcare professionals can continue to refer clients to the Stop Smoking service via their surgeries.
Stop smoking medication
Examples of medication which can help you stop smoking:
- Nicotine replacement therapy (NRT) (patches, chewing gum) can be bought at any pharmacy
- Champix is only available on a private prescription
Other products to help you quit, such as e-cigarettes, can be bought from specialist shops.
Stop smoking case study
Mum and daughter Tina and Claire couldn't believe how much money they saved by quitting. They both used their local Stop Smoking service to go 'smoke free'.
Tina, 49, had been smoking for 30 years before she quit. She had gone through a period of ill-health shortly before she took the decision to quit, and had been using nicotine replacement therapy. Claire decided to quit as well, helping to support her mum - and they did it together by seeing an expert adviser from their local Stop Smoking service. Their adviser helped them figure out the best treatment to suit each of them individually.
Tina says:''I can't believe the money I have saved - I've used it to join a gym to get fit. I'm able to do more exercise because I can breathe more easily, it feels great!"
We look forward to helping you on your journey to becoming 'smoke free'.