If you are worried about falling in your own home, or sometimes feel unsteady on your feet at home, we are offering free home safety visits to all residents in Clifton and Guildhall Wards who want practical help and advice to reduce the risk of falls in their home.
During the course of the visit, we will find out more about you and will look at the layout of your home to give you personalised advice. With the appropriate permission, we may be able to carry out adjustments to your home which will help reduce your risk of falls. If it’s quick and simple to do - these can be done there and then if you own your own home or live in a council property, at no cost to you!
If you are a housing association or private tenant, we will need to get permission from your landlord before carrying out any adjustment works.
Below are examples of what we would be looking at in your home during the visit:
- stairs and steps
- clutter and tripping hazards (for example: rugs, cables)
- floor coverings
- poor lighting, glare, shadows
- lack of appropriate adaptations (for example: grab rails, stair rails)
- access to telephone or alarm systems
- quality of heating
- door thresholds
It’s not just your home environment that can increase your risk of falls; individual behaviour, balance, medication and medical conditions can also increase the risk. Falls may occur at any age; however a combination of risk factors means that whilst falls are not an inevitable part of ageing, they are more likely to occur as people get older.
For more information or to make an appointment:
- contact our team on telephone: 01904 567456
- email the YorWellbeing Falls Prevention Team: firstname.lastname@example.org
- if you're making a referral on behalf of someone else, please contact us on tel: 01904 567456 or complete our online referral form