Support from age eighteen (transitions)

From 18 years old, if you need practical help because of a physical or learning disability, or sight or hearing problems, you can ask about getting adult social care to help with your needs.

You may have to contribute towards the cost of your care and support as an adult. First we will discuss the type of difficulties you have and what type of help you need.

If you already receive social care services as a young person, speak to your social worker about transitions into adulthood. Our 'Transition Team' is made up of children and adult social workers, Connexions Careers advisors and Independent travel trainers. They are based in ‘The Zone’ at the front of Applefields, York’s secondary special school.

If you already have a social worker from the Children’s Health and Disability Team, you may be allocated a social worker from the Adult Social Care team before you are 18.

If you are 18 years old or over and you have no social care practitioner get in touch with our Adult Social Care team.

Planning for your future

When you reach adulthood, the services provided may change. This could mean that you’re no longer eligible for the same services, or that more services are needed to support you.

Your family and those working with you will support you to plan for the future. If you have a specialist teacher for autism they may continue to work with you until you leave education, which could be up 25.

If you have an 'Education, Health and Care Plan' or 'My Support Plan', this will record the planning for your future.

You complete the first section and are asked to think about what is important for the next three to five years as a key question. Your parents and professionals will use this to help you to plan the next steps. The outcomes that are agreed jointly to ensure everyone works together to help you achieve your goals. This should include plans for:

  • education
  • training
  • leisure and friendships
  • employment or volunteering
  • increased independence

Also see

Comment on this page
Back to the top of the page