Directional signs are placed on major roads in the area to encourage traffic to approach York Racecourse via the A64, with further signage within the city reinforcing this preferred route.
Please follow on-street signing to designated free parking and drop off and collection areas.
Leaving York Racecourse
The following traffic management measures are in place between approximately 4pm and 7.30pm on race days, except Saturday 1 July and Saturday 9 July when they will remain in place until approximately 9pm and Friday 28 July between 7.30pm and 11.30pm:
- Scarcroft Hill and Telford Terrace - Roads are closed and manned by North Yorkshire Police, only residents and authorised vehicles are allowed access
- Campleshon Road - A one way system is in operation from St Chad's Church travelling towards Knavesmire Road. 'Road closed' signs and barriers are in place at the junctions with Albemarle Road, Curzon Terrace and Knavesmire Crescent to prevent vehicles cutting through, as well as to prevent vehicles turning towards Bishopthorpe Road by mistake
- Knavesmire Road - The one way system is in operation from Campleshon Road towards Tadcaster Road/The Mount. Road cones are positioned in the centre of the road from the car park entrance to the junction with Tadcaster Road. Temporary traffic lights operate at this junction
- Sim Balk Lane - The traffic lights at Sim Balk Lane/Tadcaster Road junction are turned off and there is no right turn towards the city when exiting Sim Balk Lane. Traffic leaving the A64 for Bishopthorpe must u-turn at Askham Bar roundabout, to approach the junction from the city direction and turn left to Bishopthorpe
- Bishopthorpe Road - Temporary traffic lights operate at the car park entrance
- Church Lane, Bishopthorpe - Temporary traffic lights operate when exiting Church Lane onto Sim Balk Lane
Race day waiting restrictions
During racecourse events, 'no waiting' cones are placed in the following locations:
- Bishopthorpe Road between junctions with Campleshon Road and Church Lane, Bishopthorpe
- Church Lane, Bishopthorpe
- Acaster Lane, extending 50 metres from the junction with Main Street, Bishopthorpe
- Sim Balk Lane, Bishopthorpe, between the junctions with Church Lane and the service road to Middlethorpe Grange
- Albemarle Road, Curzon Terrace, Kensington Street, Lorne Street, Montague Street and Trafalgar Street for 20 metres from junctions with Campleshon Road
- Campleshon Road, Knavesmire Avenue, Knavesmire Road, Lichfield Court, Racecourse Road
- Queen Victoria Street to west of Albemarle Road
- Albemarle Road between junctions with The Mount and Queen Victoria Street
- Knavesmire Crescent between junctions with Queen Victoria Street, Knavesmire Avenue and Campleshon Road
Our enforcement officers patrol regularly to enforce 'no waiting' restrictions, from 8am until 30 minutes after the last race. You'll receive a parking ticket (or 'penalty charge notice' (PCN)) if you wait or park in these areas during these times.
While no enforcement takes place overnight (from 30 minutes after the last race until 8am the next day), cones remain in place to avoid the expense of removing and replacing them. If you've parked in these areas overnight, you must move your vehicle before 8am.