Apply for permission to close a road or footpath to prevent vehicles or pedestrians using it.
- include a plan showing the location of the closure
- include a plan showing diversion routes and signs you intend to use
- return your completed form (and plans) to our Traffic Management Team
- allow 3 to 5 weeks' notice for us to process your application before you need a road closure
Contact our Traffic Management Team for further advice if you need to close a road or footpath.
Permission to close a road or footpath
Please note that:
- permission to close a road or footpath will only be given if keeping it open will cause considerable risk to those using it
- permission is valid for the duration of road closure you applied for
Cost of road closures
The cost to close a road or footpath depends on the scale of your works or event. The minimum charge is £460 rising to a maximum charge of £1,380. Most closures involving one street or footpath will fall into the minimum charge category. If your event or works require closures for several streets or areas, you will be charged a higher rate, but not more than £1,380.
- concessions may be available for charitable events
- all applicants (including charities) will be charged for advertising costs if your closure involves a legal order
We'll send you an invoice if the closure is granted, using the details from your application form.