Apply for permission to close a road or footpath to prevent vehicles or pedestrians using it:
- include a plan showing the location of the closure
- include a plan showing diversion routes and signs you intend to use
- return your completed form (and plans) to our Traffic Management Team
- allow 3 to 5 weeks' notice before the required closure for us to process your application
Please note that:
- permission to close a road or footpath will only be given if keeping it open will cause considerable risk to those using it
- permission is valid for the duration of road closure you applied for
Contact our Traffic Management Team for further advice.
The cost to close a road or footpath depends on the scale of your works or event.
- the minimum charge is £473 rising to a maximum charge of £1,421
- most closures involving one street or footpath will fall into the minimum charge category
- if your event or works require closures for several streets or areas, you will be charged a higher rate, but not more than £1,421
- concessions may be available for charitable events
- all applicants (including charities) will be charged for advertising costs if your closure involves a legal order
We'll send you an invoice if the closure is granted, using the details from your application form.
Not all applications fall under tacit consent parameters, due to reasons of public interest.
If tacit consent applies, then you can act as if your application has been granted if we do not respond within a specified time after the confirmed receipt of your application.
Tacit consent does not apply to this application, therefore it is in the public interest that we process your application before it can be granted.
- you cannot assume permission will be given
- we will contact you within 5 days to acknowledge receipt of your application
- if you have not heard from us within 5 days please contact us to check the status of your application