Apply for permission to close the road or footpath to prevent vehicles or pedestrians using it; you must:
- include a plan showing the location of the closure
- include a plan showing diversion routes and signs you intend to use
- return your complete form (and plans) to our Traffic Management Team
- allow 3 to 5 weeks notice for us to process your application before you need a road closure
Permission to close a road or footpath
Permission to close a road or footpath:
- will only be given if keeping it open will cause considerable risk to those using it
- is valid for the duration of road closure you applied for
- maximum duration of a road closure is 6 weeks
Contact our Traffic Management Team if you need to close a road or footpath for longer than 6 weeks.
Cost of road closures
The cost to close a road or footpath depends on the scale of your works or event. The minimum charge is £460 rising to a maximum charge of £1,380. Most closures involving one street or footpath will fall into the minimum charge category. If your event or works require closures for several streets or areas, you will be charged a higher rate, but not more than £1,380.
- Concessions may be available for charitable events
- all applicants (including charities) will be charged for advertising costs if your closure involves a legal order
We'll send an invoice to you, using the details from your application form, if the closure is granted.