Coaches and minibuses with more than 16 passenger seats are not permitted within the city walls, except to negotiate the Lendal Arch "gyratory" (a signal controlled junction, with a one-way loop) at Station Avenue/Station Road.
Coaches are not permitted to use Lendal Bridge or Ouse Bridge.
Coaches may only use Skeldergate Bridge to cross the river in the City Centre.
You can download maps of York showing details for coach access, rendezvous points and parking:
For help and advice during your passengers’ stay in York, see Visit York.
City centre coach parking
Coaches and larger minibuses can park in the designated council coach parks at:
None of the other council car parks can accommodate coaches or larger minibuses.
Additional parking facilities may be available to coaches booking in advance at the following sites, which are not council car parks:
- National Railway Museum, Leeman Road, YO26 4XJ. Telephone: 01904 686263
- Transdev York depot, Hospital Fields Road, YO10 4EW. Telephone: 01904 655585.
Drop-off and pick-up points
Coaches may only set down and/or pick up passengers in the city centre at the coach parks or the following rendezvous points, all of which are clearly sign posted:
- Leeman Road (Railway Rendezvous)
- Fawcett St (Castle Rendezvous)
- Foss Bank (Minster Rendezvous)
Under no circumstances may coaches stop on the bus stops immediately outside York Railway Station.
Rail replacement services
Operators running Rail Replacement services should contact the York Station Manager for access to the York Railway Station long stay car park.
Coaches must not stop in front of the station for any reason.
Coaches attending race meetings at York Racecourse should set down and pick up passengers within the Racecourse Coach Park which can be accessed via Bishopthorpe Road.
Children and visitors with special needs
Coach parties of young children or those with special needs, such as those with mobility problems, may apply to us for a permit allowing them to be set down or picked up within the restricted areas.
- applications must be made at least 7 days prior to the planned visit
- if granted, the permit must be carried on board the vehicle for the duration of the visit
- coaches must proceed to a coach park once passengers have been dropped off
- coaches must return only at the agreed pick up time
To apply for a permit, contact the Highway Licensing Team.
Christmas coach parking
For details of coach parking during the Christmas season, see www.visityork.org/christmascoachparking.