Blue Badge Scheme parking for disabled people

People with permanent and substantial walking difficulties can apply for a blue badge online so that they can park closer to shops, restaurants and other places they want to visit.

Please note - it's the same process to renew your blue badge online.

Issuing blue badges

We issue blue badges on behalf of the Department for Transport:

  • blue badges can be issued to eligible York residents as the driver or passenger in a vehicle
  • parents of a disabled child under 16 can also apply for a badge on their child's behalf
  • a blue badge does not 'belong to the vehicle'
  • blue badges are not issued to relatives or carers

Standard applications take approximately 28 days, those which require further assessment (such as an independent mobility assessment) may take longer.

There is a £10 charge for each badge issued. We collect payment when we receive your application, however, if your application is rejected, your payment will be refunded.

If you prefer, you can download and print blue badge application/renewal form.

Track your Blue Badge application

Use the GOV.UK website to track your Blue Badge application.

Blue Badge eligibility

To check if you qualify for a blue badge, see:

You may be automatically eligible, without further assessment, if you can provide proof of one of the following:

  • you are registered blind or severely sight impaired
  • you receive the higher rate mobility component of disability living allowance
  • you receive the moving around component in a Personal Independence Payment (PIP) with a score of 8 points or more
  • you receive a war pensioner's mobility supplement
  • you have received a lump sum benefit within tariff levels 1 to 8 of the Armed Forces and Reserve Forces (Compensation) Scheme and have been certified as having a permanent and substantial disability which causes inability to walk or very considerable difficulty in walking

You may also be eligible 'subject to further assessment' if you either:

  • have a permanent and substantial difficulty walking
  • have a severe disability in both arms
  • regularly drive a vehicle but are unable to operate (or have considerable difficulty operating) a parking meter

In these circumstances, and if you've not previously had a Blue Badge from us, then you'll be referred to an Independent Mobility Assessor.

Change of circumstances

You must notify us if your circumstances change or you change your address.

You must return your badge if it is no longer needed.

Blue Badges for children under three

Using a specific form, parents of a disabled child under 3 can apply for a blue badge if the child, due to a specific medical condition either needs to travel with bulky medical equipment or needs to be close to a vehicle for emergency medical treatment.

Also see

Comment on this page
Back to the top of the page