Disabled person's bus pass

Apply for a disabled person's bus pass if you:

  • are profoundly or severely deaf
  • are registered blind (severely sight impaired) or partially sighted (sight impaired)
  • are without speech
  • have a disability that has a substantial and long-term adverse effect on your ability to walk
  • do not have arms or have long-term loss of the use of both arms
  • have a learning disability
  • would have your application to drive a motor vehicle refused due to physical fitness (other than on the grounds of persistent misuse of drugs or alcohol)

A disabled person's bus pass (issued free of charge) entitles you to free local bus travel throughout England, subject to peak-hour time restrictions.

Using your disabled person's bus pass

You can use your bus pass:

  • after 9:00am Monday to Friday
  • after 9:30am if travelling outside York and North Yorkshire
  • before 6:00am Monday to Friday in York and North Yorkshire
  • any time at weekends or bank holidays

Other bus pass rules:

  • passes are valid on local bus services throughout England
  • services incorporating a special amenity element (such as Park and Ride) may incur a charge - for example, passholders boarding at Park and Ride sites must pay a £1 return fare
  • passes are not valid for use on excursions, tour buses or race-day shuttles
  • passes are not generally valid for free travel on long-distance scheduled coach services such as National Express - check with the coach operator before travelling
  • passes are not valid in Scotland, Wales or Northern Ireland

When using your pass outside the local area, please let the driver know your destination to avoid any confusion.

You can only apply for a bus pass from us if your 'sole or principal residence' is located in our area.

If you have recently moved to the York area and have a bus pass issued in another area, you must return it before you apply for a new pass from us.

Proof of your disability

As part of your application, one of the following documents may be accepted as proof of your disability:

  • a photocopy of your blue badge parking permit (or the badge's reference number)
  • a photocopy of your Certificate of Vision Impairment
  • a photocopy of your entitlement to Disability Living Allowance (higher/middle rate care component, or higher rate mobility component)
  • a photocopy of your entitlement to Personal Independence Payments (enhanced/standard daily living rate, or enhanced mobility rate)
  • a photocopy of your entitlement to Severe Disablement Allowance
  • a photocopy of your entitlement under the Armed Forces Compensation Scheme (tariff 1-8)
  • a photocopy of your entitlement to Veteran's Constant Attendance Allowance (full day rate, intermediate rate or exceptional rate)
  • a letter from your doctor (GP) which clearly states that you have one of the qualifying disabilities listed above - please use the 'request of medical evidence form' attached to a sheet of the GP's headed notepaper or stamped by the GP/your local clinic.

Companion entitlement

For people with more severe disabilities, your bus pass can include a 'companion' who can travel with you free of charge throughout York and North Yorkshire. The companion entitlement is also valid only on cross-boundary journeys between York and other areas of Yorkshire and the Humber,such as the East Riding of Yorkshire, West Yorkshire and Hull. This means, for example,your companion can travel free between York and Leeds, but not on local journeys within Leeds.

You can apply for 'companion entitlement' if you are in receipt of:

  • higher rate disability living allowance
  • enhanced rate personal independence payment
  • severe disablement allowance
  • a certificate of vision impairment

To qualify for free travel, your companion must board and leave the bus at the same stops as you.

Also see

Comment on this page
Back to the top of the page