Once you reach eligible age, you can apply for an older person’s bus pass for free local travel throughout England, subject to peak-hour time restrictions.
You can check the table to see if you're eligible for an older person's bus pass.
Using your bus pass
Use your bus pass:
- after 9am Monday to Friday
- after 9.30am if travelling outside York and North Yorkshire
- before 6am Monday to Friday in York and North Yorkshire (services allowing)
- any time at weekends or bank holidays
Other bus pass rules
- national passes are valid on local bus services throughout England
- services incorporating a special amenity element (such as Park and Ride) may incur a charge - for example, passholders boarding at Park and Ride sites must pay a £1 return fare
- passes are not valid for use on excursions, tour buses or race-day shuttles
- passes are not generally valid for free travel on long-distance scheduled coach services such as National Express - check with the coach operator before travelling
- passes are not valid in Scotland, Wales or Northern Ireland
When using your pass outside the local area, please let the driver know your destination to avoid any confusion.
You can only apply for a bus pass from us if your 'sole or principal residence' is located in our area.
If you have recently moved to the York area and have a bus pass issued in another area, you must return it before you apply for a new pass from us.