Special control parking permits

Public notice

We are currently consulting on the Local Plan Publication draft - from Wednesday 21 February, to midnight on Wednesday 4 April 2018.

Take part in the consultation

You can apply for a special control parking permit if you live in a house or flat in the residents' priority parking scheme (ResPark) special control zones within:

  • the Micklegate area
  • the North Street area
  • Agar Street

The special control parking permit will allow you (or a vehicle owner visiting your property) to park in certain resident bays in the area.

Return your application with the correct payment and proof of your address.

Unlike standard household parking permits, only one permit can be issued and no visitor parking permits can be purchased. Permit holders may also be restricted to certain bays within a zone.

This is due to the restricted availability of on-street parking within the special control zones.

If you're unsure whether you're entitled to a special control permit or you need more information, please contact our parking services team before completing your application form.

Cost of special control parking permits

You can have a permit for 3, 6, 9 or 12 months. The cost of your permit depends on how long you want the permit for.

There are also 3 different rates available depending on the level of emissions that your vehicle produces and the size of your vehicle.

Discounted rate

You may be eligible for a discount dependent on your vehicle type:

Standard rate

You will be charged the standard rate if the emissions are 121g to 185g/Km2 (vehicle tax bands D to I).

Premium rate

You will be charged the premium rate for your household permit if the emissions are over 185g/Km2 (vehicle tax bands J to M) or your vehicle is longer than 5m.

You can find vehicle tax information on a new or used car online from the Vehicle Certification Agency.

Rates for special control parking permits

Number of months

Discounted rate Standard rate Premium rate
3 Months £16.25 £32.50 £42.00
6 Months £32.50 £65.00 £84.00
9 Months £48.75 £97.50 £126.00
12 Months £55.00 £110.00 £137.50

Temporary special control parking permits

When you move into a new property, you may not have the relevant proof of address to apply for a parking permit.

You can get a temporary permit in order to park in the special control zone for a period up to 3 months.

Once you have obtained the necessary proof of address, you will need to forward it to the Parking Office to confirm that you reside at the property.

Once the documents have been received, a resident permit will be issued to you so that you can continue to park in your residents' parking area.

You are still able to benefit from the savings achieved by paying for a 6, 9 or 12 month permit. However, if you pay for more than 3 months your temporary permit will still only be valid for the initial 3 month period. On receipt of your proof of address, we will then issue a valid permit up until the date which was covered by your initial payment.

To apply for a temporary permit, complete a Special control parking permit application form.

Also see

Comment on this page
Back to the top of the page