House in multiple occupancy (HMO) parking permits

You can apply for a House in multiple occupancy (HMO) parking permit if you live in a HMO property within a residents' priority parking scheme (ResPark) zone.

An HMO property is a property occupied by unrelated tenants, each with a self-contained, lockable room.

Only one HMO parking permit will be issued per address, and the permit will be vehicle specific.

HMO permits allow you to park in community and guest house bays only.

Return your application with the correct payment and proof of your address.

You also need to provide one of the following:

  • copy of a vehicle registration document for your vehicle. The vehicle registration document must be in your name and the vehicle must be registered at your current address
  • for company cars, you must provide a letter from your company on their official company letterheaded paper confirming that you have the use of the vehicle

HMO visitor parking permits

The first person in a household to register for a HMO permit is issued with an authorisation card which is shared with all residents in the HMO property in order to buy visitor parking permits.

Any visitor permits issued are not vehicle specific. These can be used by other members of the household, or by visitors to the household.

HMO parking permit costs

You can have a permit for 3, 6, 9 or 12 months. The cost of your permit depends on how long you want the permit for.

There are also 2 different rates available depending on the level of emissions that your vehicle produces and the size of your vehicle.

Discounted rate

You may be eligible for a discount dependent on your vehicle type:

You can find vehicle tax information on a new or used car online from the Vehicle Certification Agency.

Standard rate

You will be charged the standard rate for any vehicles which do not qualify for the discounted rate.

Rates for HMO parking permits

Number of months

Discounted rate Standard rate
3 months £21.00 £45.00
6 months £42.00 £90.00
9 months £63.00 £135.00
12 months £80.00 £160.00

Changes to your vehicle details

If you are receiving a short car or low emission discount then your permit will be vehicle-specific.

This means that any change to your vehicle details will require a replacement permit, regardless of whether the new vehicle is also eligible for a discount.

You will need to:

  • return your permit before a replacement can be issued
  • include a letter explaining why you're returning your permit
  • provide the new vehicle details
  • include the vehicle registration document relating to the new vehicle (if the new vehicle is eligible for a discount)
  • make a top-up payment for the remaining period of cover (if the new vehicle is not eligible for a discount)
  • include a covering letter from the lease company or your employer confirming that you are allowed to use the vehicle (if the new vehicle is a lease/company vehicle)

The replacement will be issued with the same expiry date as the previous permit. Please allow 10 working days for receipt.

Until you receive your replacement permit, you will be unable to park your new vehicle within the ResPark zone.

If you come in to our Customer Centre a new one can be issued to you then and there - so you will not have to wait for a replacement.

If you want to update your permit in person, please ensure that you bring:

  • your old permit
  • any required documents
  • a method of payment (if applicable)

Also see

Comment on this page
Back to the top of the page