If your main residence is within the city walls, you may be to apply for a resident contract parking permit (one per household), provided that you do not have a garage or off-street parking for a motorcar at your address.
The permit allows you to park in one of the following car parks:
- St George's field car park
- Monk Bar car park
- Foss Bank car park
- Marygate car park
- Nunnery Lane car park
- Union Terrace car park
When applying for the permit, you must select the car park you wish to use as the permit will not allow you to use other car parks.
Return your application with the correct payment and supporting documents. We process applications within 10 working days of receiving them.
A resident contract parking permit lasts for a minimum of one month and a maximum of one year.
The permit cannot be used in conjunction with any business activities relating to the registered address and can only be used by the permit holder, or a friend/family member visiting the property where the permit is registered.
Resident contract permit costs
Foss Bank car park is securely locked in the evening, so each permit issued for Foss Bank will be provided with a key to access the car park when closed.
There is an additional charge for the key if you wish to park at Foss Bank.
There are 2 different rates available depending on the level of emissions that your vehicle produces and the size of your vehicle.
You may be eligible for a discount dependent on your vehicle type:
- short car parking discounts are available if your car is shorter than 2.7 metres in length
- low emission parking discounts are available for electric/LPG powered cars and cars with emissions up to 120g/km2 (vehicle tax bands A-C)
You can find vehicle tax information on a new or used car online from the Vehicle Certification Agency.
The discounted rates are:
- Foss Bank car park: £380.00 annually or £36.00 monthly
- other car parks: £337.00 annually or £31.00 monthly
You will be charged the standard rate for any vehicles which do not qualify for the discounted rate.
The standard rates are:
- Foss Bank car park: £820.00 annually or £79.00 monthly
- other car parks: £810.00 annually or £73.00 monthly
Renewing your permit
You will receive a renewal form shortly before your resident contract parking permit expires.
Please complete and return this at least two weeks before your current permit expires.
Changes to your vehicle details
If you are receiving a short car or low emission discount then your permit will be vehicle-specific.
This means that any change to your vehicle details will require a replacement permit, regardless of whether the new vehicle is also eligible for a discount.
You will need to:
- return your permit before a replacement can be issued
- include a letter explaining why you're returning your permit
- provide the new vehicle details
- include the vehicle registration document relating to the new vehicle (if the new vehicle is eligible for a discount)
- make a top-up payment for the remaining period of cover (if the new vehicle is not eligible for a discount)
- include a covering letter from the lease company or your employer confirming that you are allowed to use the vehicle (if the new vehicle is a lease/company vehicle)
The replacement will be issued with the same expiry date as the previous permit. Please allow 10 working days for receipt.
Until you receive your replacement permit, you will be unable to park your new vehicle within council car parks, unless you make the standard parking payment.
If you come in to our Customer Centre a new one can be issued to you then and there - so you will not have to wait for a replacement.
If you want to update your permit in person, please ensure that you bring:
- your old permit
- any required documents
- a method of payment (if applicable)