If your main residence is within the city walls, you may be to apply for a resident contract parking permit (one per household), provided that you don't have a garage or off-street parking for a motorcar at your address.
The permit allows you to park in one of the following car parks:
- St George's field car park
- Monk Bar car park
- Foss Bank car park
- Marygate car park
- Nunnery Lane car park
- Union Terrace car park
When applying for the permit, you must select the car park you wish to use.
Return your application with the correct payment and supporting documents. We process applications within 10 working days of receiving them.
A resident contract parking permit lasts for a minimum of one month and a maximum of one year.
The permit can't be used in conjunction with any business activities relating to the registered address and can only be used by the permit holder, or a friend/family member visiting the property where the permit is registered.
Map of all council car parks
You can zoom in on the map to view the locations of council car parks in York.
Click on individual car parks to see more details.
Use the map search bar to search by postcode or street name to find the car park closest to your address.
Resident contract permit costs
There are 2 different rates available depending on the level of emissions that your vehicle produces and the size of your vehicle.
Foss Bank car park is securely locked in the evening, so each permit issued for Foss Bank will be provided with a key to access the car park when closed.
There's an additional charge for the key if you wish to park at Foss Bank.
You may be eligible for a discount dependent on your vehicle type:
- short car parking discounts are available if your car is shorter than 2.7 metres in length
- low emission parking discounts are available for electric/LPG powered cars and cars with emissions up to 120g/km2 (vehicle tax bands A-C)
You can find vehicle tax information on a new or used car online from the Vehicle Certification Agency.
The discounted rates are:
- Foss Bank car park: £390.00 annually or £37.00 monthly
- other car parks: £347.50 annually or £32.00 monthly
You'll be charged the standard rate for any vehicles which don't qualify for the discounted rate.
The standard rates are:
- Foss Bank car park: £845.00 annually or £81.50 monthly
- other car parks: £835.00 annually or £75.00 monthly
Renewing your permit
You'll receive a renewal form shortly before your resident contract parking permit expires.
Please complete and return this at least two weeks before your current permit expires.
Changes to your vehicle details
If you are receiving a short car or low emission discount then your permit will be vehicle-specific.
This means that any change to your vehicle details will require a replacement permit, regardless of whether the new vehicle is also eligible for a discount.
You'll need to:
- return your permit before a replacement can be issued
- include a letter explaining why you're returning your permit
- provide the new vehicle details
- include the vehicle registration document relating to the new vehicle (if the new vehicle is eligible for a discount)
- make a top-up payment for the remaining period of cover (if the new vehicle is not eligible for a discount)
- include a covering letter from the lease company or your employer confirming that you are allowed to use the vehicle (if the new vehicle is a lease/company vehicle)
The replacement will be issued with the same expiry date as the previous permit. Please allow 10 working days for receipt.
Until you receive your replacement permit, you'll be unable to park your new vehicle within council car parks, unless you make the standard parking payment.
If you come in to our Customer Centre a new one can be issued to you then and there - so you will not have to wait for a replacement.
If you want to update your permit in person, please ensure that you bring:
- your old permit
- any required documents
- a method of payment (if applicable)
Cancelling your permit
You can cancel your parking permit at any time, and you'll be issued with a pro-rata refund for any time remaining on the permit.