Pay for parking, from the comfort of your vehicle, using your mobile phone:
You can also extend your parking time by phone and get text reminders before your parking expires.
Register to PayByPhone
To register to pay by phone tel: 01904 279279 and follow the instructions - you can also pay for parking when you call.
Alternatively you can register and pay by text message. Simply text 'info' to 65565 and follow the instructions.
You can also register online on the PayByPhone website.
- a valid credit/debit card
- your vehicle registration number
- your mobile phone number
Once you've registered, next time you want to park:
- phone 01904 279279, or text 'info' to 65565 and follow the instructions.
- enter the car/coach park location number (see car park sign or the table below for details) and the amount of time you want to park.
- if calling you'll be asked if you have a York Resident Minster Badge to get discount off your parking fee. Unfortunately, pay by text does not allow Minster Badge discount to be applied.
- listen to the whole of the message and press 1 when prompted - don't hang up before this as your parking fee won't be paid/valid until the call is complete.
- your car registration number will appear on the parking officer's handheld device, so they'll know you've paid to park in that location/car/coach park.
- there's no need to display a ticket in your car. However, if you're using a Minster Badge make sure it's clearly displayed, so parking officers are aware you're entitled to a discount.
- if using the app and you wish to obtain the residents discount, please add a number ‘1’ to the end of the location number. For example location 7700 would become 77001
Note: we advise users to book when they arrive as spaces booked in advance cannot be guaranteed.
Car park location numbers
|Car park||Location number|
|Bootham Row car park||7700|
|Castle car park||7701|
|Castle Mills car park||7702|
|Esplanade car park||7703|
|Foss Bank car park||7704|
|Marygate car park||7707|
|Monk Bar car park||7708|
|Nunnery Lane car park||7709|
|Piccadilly car park||7711|
|St George's Field car Park||7712|
|Union Terrace car Park||7714|
|Coach park||Location number|
|Union Terrace coach park||7750|
|St George's Field coach park||7751|
Cost of PayByPhone
- A service charge of 20p will be added to parking fees over £2.
- A service charge of 10p will be added to parking fees under £2.
- Text reminders about parking expiry times cost 10p each.
A receipt for your parking can be sent by text (10p) or email (free).
Your parking costs will appear on your monthly credit/debit card statement, or you can view/print all of your parking transactions using your account on the PayByPhone website.
Extend your parking time
You can remotely extend the time you've paid to park, using your phone - tel: 01904 279279 (or 65565 if you paid by text) and follow the instructions.
Long stay parking
You can use pay by phone to buy multiple days of parking.
Pay by phone users (not pay by text) can also buy a weekly parking permit for £52.50 (plus 75p service charge). Further weekly permit discounts are available for short or low emission vehicles (£22.00 plus 50p service charge) - when applying show your registration document to Parking Services (at West Offices) so your entitlement permit can be seen by parking officers each time you park.
Pay using a ticket machine
If you prefer to pay at a machines in our car parks see our map of car parks to get details of each location and parking costs.