Viewing and moving into sheltered housing

If you wish to have a look round a sheltered housing scheme this can easily be arranged. Just call the appropriate manager for each scheme to arrange an appointment.

If you are offered a place

If your bid for a sheltered housing property is successful, we will contact you to arrange to show you around the property.

For sheltered housing with extra care properties you do not have to bid. We will contact you when a property becomes available.

If you decide to move in, the housing office will explain the process, sign all the relevant paperwork with you and give you the keys to your home. You will then become responsible for the tenancy.

We will advise you about arrangements for your gas and/or electricity supply.

You may be asked to move in at short notice, possibly two weeks, although we do try to give as much advance notice as possible.

Moving into a sheltered home

When you move into your new home the scheme manager will welcome you to the scheme and make you aware of the things that may be important to you e.g. how things work, where the local amenities are.

The Scheme manager can show you around the communal areas , introduce you to other tenants and provide you with a timetable of events/activities that take place.

Your scheme manager will arrange to visit you, to gather personal information from you to be kept on file in case of an emergency or if assistance is needed. This includes your name, address, telephone number of your next of kin and your doctor. They will spend time with you to help you in identifying your current level of independence and assess your support needs to help you remain independent.

They will review your support needs with you every six months but you can talk to your scheme manager if your needs change at any time.


You will be given keys/fobs to your new home – one for your flat, and one for the front door of the main building.


You can smoke in your own flat or in the garden, but smoking is not permitted in communal areas of the building.

Your scheme manager or other professionals who visit you may ask you not to smoke while they are in the property.

Rent and benefits

We want to ensure that you receive the benefits and credits that they are entitled to. The benefits advice team provide information and advice on all welfare benefits and tax credits.

They can also:

  • help you complete forms
  • help with problems or appeals.

The team can help you over the phone or in person by appointment at our Customer Centre.

Household contents insurance for tenants

We recommend that all tenants get housing contents insurance.

"Simple" household contents insurance is for council tenants. For more details see our home contents insurance web page.

Also see

Comment on this page
Back to the top of the page