Apply for sheltered housing

To apply for sheltered housing add your name to the housing register using North Yorkshire Homechoice which covers most of North Yorkshire, including homes in:
  • Craven
  • Hambleton
  • Richmondshire
  • Ryedale
  • Scarborough
  • Selby
  • York

The register is for anyone interested in renting a council or housing association property including sheltered housing, as well as schemes for those wanting help to buy a home.

Once your application has been processed we will send you an assessment form to check you are eligible; contact our Housing Registrations Team for help with this form.

When we confirm you're eligible for sheltered housing we'll send you (or your nominated person) 'bidding details'. Find out more choosing and bidding for properties.

Apply for sheltered housing with extra care

To apply for 'sheltered housing with extra care' first you'll need a social care assessment relating to how much support you need in your home; contact the Customer Access and Assessment Team to arrange this.

The assessment determines whether you qualify for sheltered housing with extra care and the level of care needed, which can be low, medium or high.

Once your social care assessment has been carried out you can join the housing register using North Yorkshire Homechoice.

Once your application has been processed our Housing Registrations Team confirm whether you've been accepted for sheltered housing with extra care. You do not have to 'bid for' sheltered with extra care properties, we will let you know when a suitable place becomes available.

More about sheltered housing

If you would like to visit any of the 'scheme areas' covered by Homechoice before you apply, please contact the scheme manager for sheltered housing schemes in York to book an appointment. Alice Walker, our Older Person's Housing Advisor, can also offer advice and support.

Comment on this page
Back to the top of the page