There are 2 kinds of sheltered housing in York:
Applicants can arrange to visit a scheme before applying. You can bring your friends and family to look at our facilities as well.
Just call the appropriate Scheme Manager for each scheme to arrange an appointment. You can find their contact details through our sheltered housing directory.
Applying for sheltered housing
- Join the housing register - add your name to the housing register using North Yorkshire Home Choice or by contacting the Housing Registrations Team.
- Complete the eligibility assessment form - once your application has been processed we will send you an assessment form to check your eligibility; contact our Housing Registrations Team for help with this form.
- Bid for a property on North Yorkshire Home Choice - if you're eligible for sheltered housing we'll send you (or your nominated person) bidding details. Find out more about choosing and bidding for properties on the Home Choice website.
Applying for sheltered housing with extra care
- Arrange a social care assessment - a social care assessment determines whether you qualify for sheltered housing with extra care. It also tells us the level of care needed, which can be low, medium or high. Contact the Customer Access and Assessment Team to arrange this.
- Join the housing register- once your social care assessment has been carried out you can join the housing register using North Yorkshire Home Choice.
- Wait for a property to become available - once your application has been processed, our Housing Registrations Team will confirm whether you've been accepted for sheltered housing with extra care. You do not have to bid for sheltered housing with extra care properties - we will let you know when a suitable place becomes available.