Better Homes York

Better Homes York is a council-endorsed energy efficiency scheme set up to help homeowners, private tenants and private landlords across the city. The aim of the scheme is to create warmer, healthier homes and to reduce the cost of fuel bills.

The scheme seeks to identify 'best offers' for homeowners in the following areas:

  • home insulation
  • heating
  • boilers
  • renewable energy technologies

Energy Efficiency Grants for private sector households

If you own or rent your home from a private landlord, you may qualify for assistance to improve the energy efficiency of your home.

Grants are currently available for cavity wall and loft insulation. The amount of grant you could receive depends upon your income, the energy efficiency of your home, and the suitability of your home for the proposed improvements.

You can find out how energy efficient your home is by checking its Energy Performance Certificate (if one exists) or by completing a Home Energy Check.

You could qualify for assistance if your home has an energy efficiency rating of E, F, or G and your gross household income is less than £35,000 per year.

Assistance for privately rented homes is limited to 75% of the cost (within a grant maximum). The landlord will be required to give permission for the work to go ahead, and to contribute the remaining 25%.

Boiler replacement:

Loans for homeowners

The council can also provide loans for boiler replacements to home owners on low incomes living in inefficient homes (as above) through Energy Repayment Loans. These are interest-free loans secured by a charge on the property.

Replacement Boilers for Home Owners and Landlords

If you don't qualify for a loan to replace your boiler then the Council's partner Better Homes Yorkshire can arrange a replacement using an approved installer. Boiler replacements can cost as little as £2,000 and may be possible within 48 hours of making an enquiry

For enquiries about boiler replacements and other energy efficiency home improvements call Better Homes Yorkshire on 0800 597 1500 (free from UK landlines) or 0113 897 0977 (local rate call charges apply) - opening hours are 8.30am to 5.00pm, Monday to Friday. You can also visit the Better Homes Yorkshire website for more information and to make an online enquiry,

Further information

If you think you may qualify for a grant or loan assistance, email housing.standards@york.gov.uk or phone 01904 552300.

Also see

Comment on this page
Feedback
Back to the top of the page