If you are a private tenant or are considering renting from a private landlord the government's booklet 'How to Rent: the checklist for renting in England' has further information about your rights and responsibilities.

The guide covers each stage of the rental process, including:

  • what to look out for before renting
  • living in a rented home
  • if you are asked to leave
  • what happens at the end of a tenancy
  • what to do if things go wrong

Legal requirements

For tenancies issued after 1 October 2015, your landlord must provide:

  • an energy performance certificate (EPC)
  • a gas safety certificate for the property
  • a copy of the government booklet 'How to Rent'

Failure to comply with these requirements mean that landlords will not be able to ask you leave the property under the 'section 21' procedure (notice to quit).

Landlords must also have registered every deposit with a tenancy deposit protection scheme - more information is available on GOV.UK.

If you share part of the landlord's home, your rights will be different, see information on renting rooms in someone's home on GOV.UK.

Reporting concerns

We recommend you report any concern about health, safety and living conditions in your private rented accommodation to your landlord or agent in the first instance.

Use our online form to report concerns about your rented home if you continue to have problems.

If you are experiencing problems with condensation and mould growth, watch our short animated film for advice.

Also see

Comment on this page