Evidence suggests that Gypsies and Travellers are the most marginalised and disadvantaged of all minority groups nationally, suffering the greatest inequalities across a range of indicators. These include access to suitable accommodation, policing, justice and probation, health, education, employment and financial services.
The strategy seeks to address the inequalities that the gypsy and traveller community face.
During the period of this strategy we aim to achieve the following improvements:
- increase in the availability of land for travellers to develop sites
- improve the condition of the city's three sites
- increasing levels of literacy among adults able to support their children at school
- improve data so that healthcare resources are targeted most effectively
- increase awareness of the culture and traditions of the community