If you need help or advice from our Housing Options team, please attend one of our drop-in sessions.
Our Housing Options team can offer advice and information about housing options for people with housing issues and those who may be, or are at risk of becoming homeless.
Housing options interview
The initial interview may last about 45 minutes and you should bring all relevant paperwork with you.
- a tenancy agreement
- notice to quit
- notice seeking possession
- court documents
- arrears letter
A Housing Options adviser will talk to you about your current situation, discuss any difficulties you are having and help you look at your options to either:
- help you stay in your current home
- find alternative housing
Housing advice and information
Looking at your individual circumstances, we'll give you realistic advice and information about your options.
- negotiate with your landlord / parents
- give information about your rights as a tenant and illegal evictions
- give advice and put you in touch with money and debt advice specialists
- give advice on mediation, counselling and long-term housing support
- seek to maximise your income, for example by exploring your entitlement to housing benefit and council tax support
We'll also help you explore other housing options, including:
- how to apply for shared ownership
- how to find private rented accommodation (including renting from YorHome)
- how to apply for social housing through the York housing register or through other Housing Associations
- information about supported housing
Youth homelessness (16 and 17 year olds)
We offer support to young people aged 16 to 17 who are homeless or are at risk of becoming homeless (16 year olds need to have officially left Year 11 to access this support). View the Joint procedure for the assessment of Housing and support for homeless 16 to 17 year olds.
We would be happy to talk through your housing options with you. To arrange an appointment with us, call into the council's West Offices or contact us on tel: 01904 553585 / 07891 853498 / 07717 320102. You can also email us at email@example.com
We'll work with you and your family to talk through any issues. The emphasis of our support is on preventing homelessness and helping you stay in your current home.
If you're at risk of homelessness, we may be able to:
- work with you and your family to resolve any issues and make referrals to family support
- access emergency accommodation and make referrals to longer-term supported accommodation such as Howe Hill for young people
A Housing Options adviser may offer you further advice and support by referring you to a specialist adviser or legal representative, including:
- housing benefits and benefits advice (use the online housing benefits calculator for an instant online estimate of the benefits that you may be entitled to) or visit turn2us.org.uk
- older persons' housing (60+)
- a solicitor - the Legal Aid Agency provides civil legal advice
- mediation services
- domestic violence - IDAS
- Salvation Army - who offer specialist advice and support for single homeless people at Peasholme Centre, 4 Fishergate, York YO10 4FH, Monday to Friday from 10am to midday. For further information see the Salvation Army Homeless leaflet and Rough Sleeper Single Homeless leaflet
- Citizens' Advice York for general advice and specific housing and debt advice. To find out more about where and when to book an appointment for free and confidential advice, or for more details of drop-in sessions, please see Citizens' Advice York opening times.
- mental health supported accommodation. There is supported accommodation available for people who need support with mental health and have housing issues. My Home in York is a guide to support people experiencing mental health problems who wish to move home or move into supported accommodation.
If you are being taken to court for mortgage arrears, rent arrears or nuisance behaviour, you should contact the duty court desk or a solicitor, for legal representation. The York 'court duty scheme' is run by Foundation York; you can contact them on tel: 01904 557490.