Find out what type of household recycling collections you have.
Find out how we manage recycling in York, and what we collect at the kerbside:
We collect recycling in 3 main types
- plastic bottles, tins and cans (metal)
- paper and cardboard
Please separate your recycling into these types using the recycling boxes provided. Find out how to get a new or replacement recycling box, lid or net
You can recycle any size or colour of plastic bottles (with lids) but not any other types of plastic container.
- milk, water, fruit juice, squash, fizzy drinks bottles
- probiotic drink bottles (not pots)
- detergent and fabric conditioner bottles
- household cleaning bottles (including toilet cleaner and bleach)
- toiletry bottles including make-up/cleanser, shampoo, conditioner and bubble bath bottles
- we only recycle plastic bottles. Other plastic should be placed in your landfill bin e.g. plastic food wrapping, trays, margarine tubs and yogurt pots, toys.
- Tins and cans (metal)
All metal food and drinks cans (steel and aluminium) can be recycled. You don't need to remove labels but please wash them out before recycling.
- food tins (tuna, soup, meat)
- drinks cans
- sweets tins, biscuit tins and metal lids
- baby milk tins (no plastic lids or scoops)
- empty hairspray, deodorant, shaving foam and carpet cleaner cans
- clean pet food tins
- aluminium foil and foil trays
- baking trays, metal utensils, coat hangers, cutlery
- paint tins
Paper and cardboard
- egg boxes
- newspapers/magazines, telephone directories, catalogues/brochures (with any staples removed)
- junk mail/leaflets (with any staples removed), white/coloured paper, all envelopes (with plastic windows removed where applicable)
- greetings cards, non-foil gift wrapping paper, clean paper bags
- cereal boxes, ready meal boxes
- kitchen/toilet roll tubes, tissue boxes
- card sleeves from food packaging
Very large boxes should be flattened and broken down into smaller pieces and placed either inside or underneath your box. Very large quantities of cardboard or unbroken boxes should be taken to your local recycling bank or Household Waste Recycling Centre
- all types of cartons (e.g. Tetra paks, soup, chopped tomatoes, custard cartons, fabric conditioner)
- milk/juice/smoothie cartons
- waxed paper coffee/tea cups
To find your nearest carton recycling banks, please use the recycling bank locator.
Many households (apart from rural/remote properties) can recycle glass bottles and jars from home. We accept any colour of glass bottle or jar e.g. brown, clear, green, blue glass or other colours. Please rinse out items, especially food jars.
To find out where your nearest glass recycling banks are, please look at the recycling bank locator.
- any colour or size of glass bottle e.g. wine, beer, cider, spirits, juice, perfume, vinegar, sauce
- any colour glass jar e.g. sauce, jam/marmalade, baby food, pickles, condiment jar etc.
- broken glass
- window glass
- drinking glasses and cookware, pyrex dishes
- light bulbs, mirror glass
Please dispose of these types of glass safely in your bin.