Find out about your responsibility for disposing of the waste your business produces.
Small businesses and traders who are registered with us can use the waste disposal facilities at Hazel Court Household Waste Recycling Centre (HWRC), James Street, York, YO10 3DS.
There is a charge for disposing of waste at Hazel Court and the following terms apply:
- facilities can only be used by businesses Monday to Friday, 8.30am to 4.30pm
- trade waste is not accepted at weekends
- trade waste is not accepted at Towthorpe HWRC at any time
You can pay your trade waste invoices using our online payments system.
Register dispose of waste at Hazel Court
Please complete and return a registeration form to dispose of business waste.
Once registered you must clearly display a window sticker in each of vehicle that you register.
You will need a valid waste carrier's licence from the Environment Agency - contact the Environment Agency.
Types of commercial waste
Before visiting Hazel Court please check that we can accept the types of waste you want to bring.
We cannot accept the following types of waste from businesses:
- waste electrical equipment (for example computers, TVs)
- gas cylinders
- fluorescent tubes
- fridges and freezers
We can accept the following types of waste from businesses:
- plastic bottles
- glass bottles and jars
- metal cans and tins
- paper and cardboard
- garden waste
- window frames
- scrap metal
- bathrooms and kitchens
- general rubbish
Cost to dispose of business waste
As a business you will be charged to use the waste disposal facilities at Hazel Court.
- charges are made by the weight of material you bring
- a minimum charge for anything under 500kg
- you must stop on the weighbridge so your vehicle can be weighed per visit
- you will need to wait at the weighbridge until you get your transfer note
- we will check the unloaded weight of your vehicle so that the correct charges can be applied
A site attendant will advise you on the correct procedure to be followed. Failure to do this will result in being charged the cost of 1,000kg of non-recyclable waste.
We have a 'differential charging system' in place to encourage recycling and composting - costs are detailed below.
Charge for non-recyclable waste (for landfill)
- From 1 February 2016 charges will be £150.00 per tonne with a minimum charge of £77.00.
Cost (£) (Excluding VAT) from 1 February 2016
|500 or below (minimum charge)||£77.00|
|1,000 (1 tonne)||£150.00|
Please Note: The minimum charge of for non-recyclable waste weighing 500kg or less.
Charge for recyclable waste
To qualify for a recyclable load charge, 85% or more of your load needs to be recyclable. This will be assessed on site.
- From 1 February 2016 the charges are £77.00 per tonne with a minimum charge of £39 per load.
|Weight (kg)||Cost (£) (Excluding VAT) from 1 Feb 2016|
|500 or below (minimum charge)||£39.00|
|1,000 (1 tonne)||£77.00|
Please Note: The minimum charge of for recyclable waste weighing 500kg or less is £39.00
Paying to dispose of commercial waste
You can pay:
- by cheque on your visit to Hazel Court
- by monthly invoice (including using our online payments system)
If you pay by monthly invoice, your trade waste charges will be based on the waste taken onto site within a monthly period:
- if a total less than 500kg is brought onto the site within a month the minimum charge is applied
- if a total of more than 500kg is brought onto the site the normal rate will be applied for the total weight over that monthly period
Failure to pay your invoices in a timely manner may result in you being stopped from using the disposal facilities at Hazel Court until such a time that the outstanding balance is paid.
Business waste disposal and the law
If you bring business waste on to any Household Waste Recycling Centre (HWRC) as 'household waste' you are breaking the law and you can be liable to pay a maximum fine of £50,000 under Section 33 of the Environmental Protection Act 1990.
Monitoring takes place at both HWRCs and enforcement action will be taken against businesses that are found to ignore their responsibilities and the law.
Informing us of business changes
If your business moves or there are other changes made in relation to your business (e.g. name, contact details), you must inform us as soon as possible to ensure that our records are kept up to date.
If you move address and have a waste carrier's licence you will need to change the address on this via the Environment Agency.
If you change or add an additional vehicle to your business fleet you also need to inform us so we can issue you with new window stickers and keep our records up to date.
Fair trading in York
Our policy is to ensure a fair trading environment for businesses in York. All businesses must register and pay to use Hazel Court Household Waste Recycling Centre.
Action will be taken against those who ignore the requirements and seek to gain advantages by not doing so.