Commercial waste disposal responsibilities

Public notice

We are currently consulting on the Local Plan Publication draft - from Wednesday 21 February, to midnight on Wednesday 4 April 2018.

Take part in the consultation

If your business produces waste, you have a legal responsibility to make sure your waste is managed properly; this means that you dispose of it safely and it does not cause any harm to health or pollute the environment.

We can help you to dispose of commercial waste responsibly.

Your 'duty of care' for commercial waste disposal

You must check your waste is going to a waste disposal site that can legally accept it. We can only accept business waste at Hazel Court Household Waste Recycling Centre (HWRC).

When disposing of business waste you must ensure:

  • it is properly contained and doesn't escape your control
  • it is transferred to someone who is legally allowed to accept it
  • it is accompanied by the proper descriptions (in your waste transfer note)

Your responsibilities ('duty of care') are set out in Section 34 of the Environmental Protection Act, 1990. Failure to comply is an offence with a penalty of up to £5,000 in the Magistrates' Court or an unlimited fine in the Crown Court.

Waste transfer note

When you bring your business waste to Hazel Court HWRC, you will need to complete a 'waste transfer note'. This is your record that you have transferred your waste to someone who is legally allowed to accept it.

Our weighbridge site operative will sign the note as the person 'accepting' your waste; you will also need to sign the note as the person who is 'transferring' the waste.

The transfer note documents that you have disposed of your waste correctly.

Your responsibilities after completing your transfer note:

  • keep a copy of your transfer note for a minimum of 2 years
  • be prepared to produce your waste disposal records for inspection by any local authority - failure to do so could result in a fixed penalty notice (fine) of £300

It is your responsibility to check all the details on the note, including waste description, weight and name of business before you sign the paperwork.

Please be aware that you will not be able to change any details on your transfer note once you have left the site.

Waste carrier's licence

As your business carries waste, you must apply for a waste carrier's licence issued by the Environment Agency. This document states that you're legally allowed to carry a particular type of waste.

Also see

Comment on this page
Back to the top of the page