- the renewal of wedding vows
- filming in a council-owned park or open space
There may be a cost depending on the type of event and who is organising it.
Once a date has been agreed, we'll ask you to complete an application form. Once the event is confirmed, we'll agree a contract with you.
York Barbican concessionary days
York Barbican concessionary days are available to local groups, clubs and community organisations.
To be considered, your proposed event must:
- promote the objectives of our Council Plan
- provide activities or entertainment that appeal to and attract the widest cross-section of the community
- be open and accessible to all with no restricted access
We'll give priority to events that:
- enhance campaigns or public engagement programmes being delivered by us or by our Without Walls partners
- provide opportunities for community engagement
- deliver a high quality artistic programme
- enhance the overall Barbican programme
- have not previously been in receipt of a concessionary day
Concessionary days include rental fees and charges such as: use of backstage and 'front of house' facilities, in-house technical equipment, 'front of house' management, and stewarding. They do not, however, cover items such as box office and credit card commission, marketing and additional staff for duties such as loading and unloading production equipment.
The days are available as part of our lease agreement with York Barbican’s operators, SMG.
Event safety information for organisers
The City of York Event Safety Advisory Group promote and encourage high standards of public safety and wellbeing at events held in York.
They've produced the following guides for event organisers:
These guides should be read in addition to any legal requirements and government guidance.