Community food growing

Apply for a licence to grow food in community locations, such as gardens within housing estates or smaller green space/verges, so we can consider the impact of any development on neighbours, underground services and archaeology.

Contact us to find out more about developing your own site.

Alternatively you can join or volunteer with a community group which has already identified land and secured the necessary permissions, for example:

  • Edible York has a range of community vegetable plots in the city centre and surrounding area, email: or visit the Edible York website for further information.

  • The Conservation Volunteers (TCV) 'Get Growing' project supports new school and community food gardens throughout the city. You can help local schools and other groups set up new gardens. Contact tel: (01904) 644300 or email:

  • Yorkshire Wildlife Trust wants gardeners who would like to help with setting up and running a food garden in their neighbourhood as part of their 'Dig It' programme. Contact Debbie Handslip on tel: (01904) 659570, mobile: 07896 674809 or email:

  • York CVS is looking for garden mentors for new gardeners or groups, contact  tel: (01904) 621133.

Also see

Comment on this page
Back to the top of the page