Local housing allowance rates

The amount of local housing allowance you’re entitled to does not relate to your specific rent, it’s based on the number of bedrooms your household needs.

Your allowance will be calculated using the appropriate rate at the time of your claim, and is reassessed after a year, or if your circumstances change.

Current local housing allowance rates in York are:

Category Weekly amount Monthly amount
Shared room (S1) £ 67.09 £ 291.52
1 bedroom (B1) £ 98.96 £ 430
2 bedrooms (C2) £ 123.58 £ 536.98
3 bedrooms (D3) £ 141.24 £ 613.72
4 bedrooms (E4) £ 200.09 £ 869.44

Household bedroom needs

Use our bedroom calculator for help understanding your household bedroom needs. You will need one bedroom for:

  • every adult couple or single tenant aged 35 or over
  • any other adult aged 16 or over (this includes boarders or sub-tenants)
  • any two children of the same sex
  • any two children, regardless of sex, under the age of 10
  • any other child

The number of rooms you need may change from time to time, for example when a child reaches the age of 10 or 16 years. Remember your entitlement to any housing benefit might also be effected by your income, or any other adults living in your household.

Special Local housing allowance rates

Special rules apply if you are:

Joint tenants

Joint tenants are people who are not living together as a couple but share a property and are named on the tenancy agreement. For each joint tenant we will use the LHA rate for their own household not including any family of the other joint tenants.

A single person

For single people under 35 with no children we will use the shared accommodation rate of LHA regardless of the type of property they actually live in. However, there are some exceptions to this.

Single people aged 35 or over and couples with no children

For single people aged 35 or over and couples with no children we will use the one bedroom self-contained rate, provided they actually live in self-contained accommodation. If they live in accommodation with shared facilities then we will use the shared accommodation rate.

Also see

Comment on this page
Back to the top of the page