There are 3 ways to claim housing benefit:
- complete our online claim form and calculator
The following two apply if you are also making a new claim for other benefits:
- if you're claiming income support or jobseekers allowance, Jobcentre Plus will complete a form with you and send it electronically to us
- if you're claiming pension credit fill in the HCTB1 form you get with your form for pension credit and return this form to the Benefits Section, you'll also need to provide proof of your identity
You need to provide us with proof of:
- your identity (see our identity checklist for the types of documents we can use)
- your income
- your savings
New housing benefit payments
Housing benefit is normally paid from the Monday after we receive your claim form. If you delay returning your claim form you could risk losing benefit.
In some cases, if you can provide full details and proof of your circumstances for the past period, we can pay housing benefit more promptly.
Write to us requesting benefit if:
- you're of pension credit age - we are often able to pay you benefit for the 3 months before you make a claim, you must provide full details and proof of your circumstances for the past period
- you're of working age - we may be able to backdate your claim if we decide you have a good reason for claiming late, use Part 17 of your form to explain why you have not claimed earlier and the date from which you wish to claim from
If you live with a partner you should make one claim for both of you. It does not matter which of you claim, unless one of you is a student or has been continuously sick for 52 weeks or more (or 28 weeks or more if you are terminally ill).
Housing benefit period
Housing benefit is sometimes paid for a limited period.
You may have to re-apply for benefit to continue - if you don't your housing benefit will stop.
Protecting your personal data
We're committed to protecting the information we hold about you. For information on data protection and how we share customer data see our privacy statement.