Who can claim housing benefit

You may be able to claim housing benefit if you:

  • are a tenant or pay for your home
  • have shared ownership with a housing association or a rental purchase scheme
  • are on a low or modest income
  • have other housing costs such as site charges for mobile homes and caravans or mooring fees for houseboats

Find out how housing benefit is worked out by looking at your:

  • personal circumstances (for example if you have a partner or children who live with you)
  • household's income and savings

The lower your income the more help you can get.

If you receive pension credit 'guarantee credit' you will be entitled to full housing benefit and council tax support regardless of your savings.

Not eligible for housing benefit

You may not be able to claim housing benefit if:

  • you live with and pay rent to a close relative
  • you're a full time student
  • you have savings over £16,000
  • if you are a 'person from abroad'

Housing benefit does not cover mortgage repayments. You may get help with mortgage repayments from the Pension Service or Jobcentre Plus if you claim pension credit, income support, jobseekers allowance or universal credit.

Also see

Comment on this page
Back to the top of the page