You may be able to claim Housing Benefit if you:
- are a tenant
- are on a low or modest income
- have shared ownership with a housing association or a rental purchase scheme
- have other housing costs, such as site charges for mobile homes and caravans, or mooring fees for houseboats
How we calculate Housing Benefit
We work out your Housing Benefit by looking at your:
- personal circumstances (for example, if you have a partner or children who live with you)
- household income and savings
The lower your income, the more help you could get.
Not eligible for Housing Benefit
You may not be able to claim Housing Benefit if:
- you live with and pay rent to a close relative
- you're a full time student
- you have savings over £16,000
- if you're a 'person from abroad'
Housing Benefit does not cover mortgage repayments.
You may get help with mortgage repayments from the Pension Service or Jobcentre Plus if you claim: