Council Tax Support

Council Tax Support (CTS) is a type of discount off your council tax bill. It replaced Council Tax Benefit on 1 April 2013.

CTS is a means tested discount based on your household income and any savings, so people who get welfare benefits and those on low income are likely to qualify. If your savings exceed £16,000 you will not be eligible unless you receive pension credit 'guarantee credit'.

For more information, you can download details of our council tax support scheme 2017-18.

CTS provides a maximum discount of:

  • 77.5% for people who are of working age
  • 100% for people of pension credit age

Apply for council tax support

Start or return to claim

If you live in the area covered by City of York Council, you can use this online form to:

  • see how much Council Tax Support you could get if you are the person who is responsible for paying the Council Tax for the home you live in
  • see how much housing benefit you could get if you rent your home
  • find out if you're entitled to Income Support, Pension Credit or Tax Credit

If you require more help making a claim, you can contact our benefits team for assistance and advice.

Change of circumstances

You must report any change in circumstances that may affect the amount of CTS you receive.

If the change results in an increase or reduction to your council tax support it will take effect from the day the change occurred. You'll be given an amended council tax bill reflecting any adjustments made.

Also see

Comment on this page
Back to the top of the page