The keeping of certain species of wild animals is controlled by the Dangerous Wild Animals Act 1976. See a list of species requiring a licence via: Dangerous Wild Animals Act 1976 (Modification) Order 1984.
Apply for an exotic, dangerous and wild animal licence
- complete the exotic, dangerous and wild animals licence application form
- return your form to the Public Protection Unit with the £251 fee (this excludes vet fees)
- a vet will inspect your premises (you will be charged separately for this)
- planning permission may also be necessary
- if granted, your licence will be valid for 2 years
Not all applications fall under tacit consent parameters, due to reasons of public interest.
If tacit consent applies, then you can act as if your application has been granted if we do not respond within a specified time after the confirmed receipt of your application.
Tacit consent does not apply to this application, therefore it is in the public interest that we process your application before it can be granted.
- you cannot assume permission will be given
- we will contact you within 28 days to acknowledge receipt of your application
- if you have not heard from us within 28 days please contact us to check the status of your application
- we consider the animals' welfare before issuing a licence