Our Public Protection Unit can help with noise problems from commercial and industrial premises.

The types of noise we can deal with include:

  • loud music
  • ventilation noise
  • alarms
  • noise from deliveries and collections
  • bird scarers
  • construction and demolition
  • factory noise
  • noise from licensed premises

We have legal powers to deal with certain types of construction noise relating to heavy industry, plant works and machinery. We also give advice on how to minimise noise.

Our Neighbourhod Enforcement Team Noise Patrol can help with noise problems from domestic premises.

The types of noise we can deal with include:

  • noisy pets
  • music and party noise
  • domestic alarms
  • musical instruments
  • noise from DIY

Making a complaint about noise

Contact the Public Protetion Unit for complaints about noise from commercial premises.

Contact Noise Patrol for complaints about noise from domestic properties.

We will respond to you as soon as possible and within no more than 3 working days.

Our office hours are Monday to Friday: 8:30am to 5.00pm.

We are unable to take anonymous complaints, but any personal details given to us are kept confidential. We will ask you for:

  • your name, full address and contact details
  • the address you are complaining about
  • information about the noise, such as; the cause, how often, how long it lasts, and how it affects you

Making complaints outside our office hours

Noise Patrol is available outside our office hours from:

  • 9.00pm Friday to 3.00am Saturday
  • 9.00pm Saturday to 3.00am Sunday

How we investigate noise complaints

Once we have received your complaint we will:

  1. Write to the person you're complaining about to tell them that a complaint has been made and ask them to reduce the noise to an acceptable level. Your details are kept confidential
  2. Write to you asking you to contact us while the noise is happening
  3. Visit your property to assess the noise when it is happening
  4. Serve a legal 'noise abatement notice' if our officer considers the noise to be a 'statutory nuisance'

The legal notice requires the company responsible for the noise to stop causing a nuisance. If the noise continues after this then we may prosecute the them. This may result in a fine of up to £20,000.

In most cases noise stops after our initial contact with the company responsible.

If we do not hear from you within 21 days of your original complaint we will assume the noise has stopped and close your case.

Also see

Comment on this page