Our Public Protection team can help with noise problems from commercial and industrial premises.
The type of noise we can deal with includes loud music, ventilation noise, alarms, noise from deliveries and collections, bird scarers, construction and demolition, factory noise and noise from licensed premises.
We have legal powers to deal with certain types of construction noise relating to heavy industry, plant works and machinery. We also give advice on how to minimise noise.
Domestic Noise is dealt with by the Neighbourhood Enforcement Team who can be contacted on tel: 01904 551555.
Making a complaint about noise
Contact us on 01904 551525 and we will respond to you as soon as possible and within 3 working days.
Our office hours are Monday to Friday: 8:30am to 5:00pm.
We are unable to take anonymous complaints, but any personal details given to us are kept confidential. We will ask you for:
- your name, full address and contact details
- the address you are complaining about
- information about the noise, such as; the cause, how often, how long it lasts, and how it affects you
Making complaints outside our office hoursNoise Patrol is available outside our office hours from:
- 9.00pm Friday to 3:00am Saturday
- 9.00pm Saturday to 3.00am Sunday
They can be contacted on tel: 01904 551555.
How we investigate noise complaints
Once we have received your complaint we will:
- Write to the person you're complaining about to
tell them that a complaint has been made and ask them to reduce the noise to an acceptable level. Your details are kept confidential.
- Write to you asking you to contact us while the noise is happening.
- Visit your property to assess the noise when it
is happening and our officers are free to attend.
- Serve a legal 'noise abatement notice' if our officer considers the noise to be a 'statutory nuisance'.
The legal notice requires the company responsible for the noise to stop causing a nuisance. If the noise continues after this then we may prosecute the them. This may result in a fine of up to £20,000.
In most cases noise stops after our initial contact with the company responsible.
If we do not hear from you within 21 days of your original complaint we will assume the noise has stopped and close your case.