Major developments are being considered across York:
Find out more about each major development currently being considered, including:
- Castle Gateway - redevelopment provides the opportunity to create a high quality mixed-use development and build on the vitality of the city centre
- Former British Sugar and Manor School sites - planning applications were submitted for residential and community uses in December 2014. The City of York Council has been working with the developer in order to resolve remediation and design/layout issues
- Former Terry's Factory - new homes are being completed on the northern half of the former factory site by David Wilson Homes. Henry Boot Developments Ltd are progressing options for re-use of the listed buildings and for the development of commercial buildings on the south side of the site
- Germany Beck - a 'reserved matters' application for housing was approved in 2013
- Derwenthorpe - is a mixed tenure, exemplar community of energy efficient homes; construction is underway
- University of York: Heslington East Campus - an additional campus for the University of York. Construction of academic, teaching, living and research facilities with associated transport, landscaping and sports facilities is largely complete
- Hungate - has planning permission for a mixed-use scheme including housing, offices, shops and community space. Phases 1 and 2 (Blocks A,B,C and E) of the project are complete and occupied. Blocks D and F have detailed planning permission (works relating to the construction of Block F are due to commence in Autumn 2017) and Blocks G and H have outline planning approval.
- Nestlé South – formerly part of the Nestlé factory complex, redevelopment of the site could provide a prestige development which contributes to the long-term success of York's economy. Outline approval for a mixed housing/commercial scheme was approved in 2010 and City of York Council officers are working with Nestlé in order to agree appropriate revisions
- York Central - a major area for regeneration to the rear of York Railway Station. Feedback from a consultation held in early 2016 will inform the creation of a Planning Framework for the site.
- Guildhall - proposed reuse of the former council offices to create a serviced office space with café and restaurant alongside the council chamber and Guildhall, still in use by the council