Do I need to make a Building Control application?

Planned maintenance to payments system

We're making essential updates to our payments system from 1pm on Thurs 19 October to midday on Fri 20 October. We apologise that we won't be able to take online or telephone payments during this time

You can discuss whether you need to submit a building control application with our Building Control officers. You can contact us on tel: 01904 551333, by email: or by writing to us: Building Control, West Offices, Station Rise, York, YO1 6GA.

See our Guide to Extending your Home eBook.

Alternatively, you can submit a householder enquiry form and receive written confirmation of what you need to do about building regulations or planning permission.

Work that usually requires a building control application

  • extensions
  • loft conversions
  • new buildings (housing / residential / commercial)
  • removal of / alteration of a load bearing wall
  • installations of sanitary appliances (baths / toilets)
  • underpinning works
  • removal of chimney breast (that requires structural support)
  • cavity wall insulation
  • installation of replacement windows, see FENSA
  • change of building use

Work that doesn't usually require a building control application

Construction of:

  • a porch
  • a conservatory
  • a detached garage/shed
  • a carport
  • a covered way
  • a greenhouse
  • a temporary building

Find out how to submit a building control application, if you need to.

Useful forms

Download useful building control forms.

Also see

Comment on this page
Back to the top of the page