You can discuss whether you need to submit a building control application with our Building Control officers. You can contact us on tel: 01904 551333, by email: firstname.lastname@example.org or by writing to us: Building Control, West Offices, Station Rise, York, YO1 6GA.
See our Guide to Extending your Home eBook.
Alternatively, you can submit a householder enquiry form and receive written confirmation of what you need to do about building regulations or planning permission.
Work that usually requires a building control application
- loft conversions
- new buildings (housing / residential / commercial)
- removal of / alteration of a load bearing wall
- installations of sanitary appliances (baths / toilets)
- underpinning works
- removal of chimney breast (that requires structural support)
- cavity wall insulation
- installation of replacement windows, see FENSA
- change of building use
Work that doesn't usually require a building control application
- a porch
- a conservatory
- a detached garage/shed
- a carport
- a covered way
- a greenhouse
- a temporary building
Find out how to submit a building control application, if you need to.
Download useful building control forms.