The Electoral Commission guidance includes notes to candidates and their agents about standing for election, and also provides nomination forms.
To be elected as a member of City of York Council you must be:
- 18 years of age or over at the date of nomination, and
- either a British Citizen, a Commonwealth citizen, a citizen of the Republic of Ireland, or a citizen of another European Union State
- be a local government elector for the City of York Council area, or
- have occupied as owner or tenant any land or premises in the City of York Council area during the whole of the 12 months before your nomination as candidate, or
- your principal or only place of work before the day of your nomination as a candidate has been in the City of York Council area, or
- you have resided in the City of York Council area during the whole of the 12 months before the day of your nomination as a candidate
Eligibility to stand for election
Certain people are not eligible to stand for election, including anyone who:
- holds a paid office under the local authority or a politically restricted post, as defined in Part I of the Local Government and Housing Act 1989.
- has been adjudged bankrupt
- has been sentenced to a term of imprisonment (whether suspended or not) of not less than 3 months, without the option of a fine, during the 5 years preceding the election
- has been disqualified under any enactment relating to corrupt or illegal practice
Register of Electors for candidates
A copy of the Register of Electors is available for inspection at West Offices for candidates to check electoral numbers for proposers, seconders or assentors to the nomination form.
Candidates can request a copy of the register (for the ward or parish they intend to stand for) after a Notice of Election is published, by completing a form in their nomination pack, or provided by the Electoral Commission, and returning it by email: firstname.lastname@example.org.
Alternatively post completed forms requesting a copy of the Register of Electors to:
Deputy Returning Officer
The deadline for completion and submission of nomination packs for the May 2019 local elections was 3 April 2019. We can no longer accept new nomination packs.
Statements of Persons Nominated
See lists of persons nominated in wards and parishes where local elections are due to take place in May 2019: