Contact York Register Office for information about:
- registering births and deaths
- arranging civil partnership or marriage ceremonies
- conversion of a civil partnership to a marriage
- birth, death and marriage certificates
- naming ceremonies
- renewing vows
- the Nationality Checking Service
- civil funerals
- registering a venue for marriage
- other approved marriage venues in York
Location of York Register Office
- Monday to Friday, 8.30am to 5pm
- Saturdays, 10am to 3pm (ceremonies only)
Out of hours (emergency) contact
You can call us on tel: 07786 747859 between 10am and 11am on Saturdays, Sundays and Bank Holidays.
Access to York Register Office
Detailed information about accessibility, including photographs, is available from the Disabled Go Access Guide for York Register Office. Please note:
- there are 4 steps at the front entrance to the Register Office
- our side passageway leading through the garden and to the rear door is all on the same level, therefore suitable for buggies
- wheelchair users may enter the building use the ramp at the rear entrance
- our garden where photographs may be taken following ceremonies is fully wheelchair accessible
- there are adapted toilet facilities for disabled people, as well as standard toilets
- 2 of the 3 marriage rooms are on the ground floor. There is no lift because it is a listed building; however a stair lift is available
- registered assistance dogs are welcome
- there are hearing loops installed at the reception desk and the main Bootham Suite (a mobile loop system can be brought to any other room in the building if requested)
- staff are trained to receive typetalk applications/messages over the telephone
- a member of staff trained to use British Sign Language is on duty
If English is not your first language
If English is not your first language and you would like someone to help you with the registration, please feel free to ask a relative or friend to come with you to the Register Office. Remember you must register a birth personally and cannot ask someone to do this for you.
The Government Language Line service can help you with translation. Contact them on tel: 02075 201430.
We accept the following methods of payment:
- credit or debit card
- postal orders - payable to 'City of York Council'
We don't accept cheques.