When someone you love dies, you may wish to commemorate them with a memorial. Among the range of memorials available, one is sure to be right for you. However, please remember that you do not have to rush into making a decision. At such a time, you probably need to pause and consider carefully what would be right for you and your loved one.
We recommend that you visit York Crematorium in person to help you make your selection. Our dedicated and professional staff are there to help and can show you the various options available.
Our range of memorials
Please be aware that all memorials except the Book of Remembrance are supplied on a lease basis and remain the property of York Crematorium during and after the period of lease.
The types of memorial we offer are listed below, click on the name of the memorial to download the relevant application form.
- Arboria Plaque - situated within the Chapel of Remembrance this memorial offers a unique fusion of precision engraved lettering and craftsmanship with four types of plaque available.
- Granite Shaped Disc - this memorial allows you to mark the resting place of a loved one’s cremated remains within the Gardens of Remembrance (not available in Palace Wood).
- Black Memorial Plaque - this aluminium plaque with white raised letters sits on a raised metal stand.
- Bronze Plaque - there is a choice between a plaque on a stake which will be situated within the rose beds or a flat plaque which will be fixed to the raised beds either side of the path towards the summer house.
- Granite Vase Block - this memorial is made from white granite with black inscription a galvanised vase for flowers is provided.
- Granite Planter - situated adjacent to the Chapel of Remembrance this octagonal memorial allows for a inscription on a granite plaque with a vase provided at the base.
- Summer House - a memorial made from polished black granite with the provision of a motif towards the boundary of the Gardens of Remembrance.
- The Sanctum 2000 - the only memorial that holds up to two sets of cremated remains with a vase for cut flowers offering a focal point when visiting the grounds.
- SANDS - located to the front of the infant garden the memorial offers a choice of motif alongside the inscription. There is also a vase provided for flowers.
- Book of Remembrance - this permanent memorial is on display within the Chapel of Remembrance and comprises of several volumes one for each quarter of the year. The minimum entry is two lines with the maximum being eight lines with a coat of arms any motif or design which may have significance to the family can be inscribed.
For inscription ideas see our Book of Remembrance illustrations guide. To ensure memorial entries are inscribed for the first anniversary or requested date applications must be submitted by the following dates:
April, May, June by the beginning of January preceding; July, August, September by the beginning of April preceding; October, November, December by the beginning of July preceding and January, February, March by the beginning of October preceding.
Download our list of current memorial fees.
Visiting your memorial
To ensure that we maintain a pleasant environment for all of our visitors, please observe the following when visiting and placing tributes:
- only cut flowers (without any wrappings) are permitted in the grounds of the Gardens of Remembrance
- flowers may be laid at the place where ashes have been scattered or interred
- no items may be placed on or attached to any tree in the gardens
- no other items are permitted in the gardens including pots, vases, glass, plastic flowers and any form of memorabilia
- all items not permitted will be removed without notice
- no planting or interference of the ground is permitted
During specific occasions such as birthdays and Mother’s or Father’s Day cards may be placed in the gardens but will be removed after 3 days.
Christmas wreaths and all other Christmas related tributes will be disposed of immediately after Twelfth Night. No other items are permitted in the grounds and will be removed without notice.