Tell us once - bereavement services

When you register a death with the York Register Office, we can contact government departments and local council services that need to be told about the death, on your behalf.

When using our 'tell us once' service you'll need to provide the following information related to the deceased person:

  • national insurance number
  • date of birth
  • any benefits or services they were receiving
  • driving licence or driving licence number
  • passport or passport number 

We may also ask you for information about:

  • their next of kin
  • any surviving husband, wife or civil partner
  • the person dealing with their estate 

You must obtain the agreement of the persons listed above if you are going to provide us with information about them.

We can also provide the 'tell us once' service if the coroner has issued an interim death certificate. In these cases you will also need to bring the interim death certificate to the appointment and tell the Register Office that you only wish to use the Tell Us Once Service and not actually register the death.

Informing service providers and organisations

You can use the 'tell us once' service to inform the following organisations about a death:

Local councils 

  • housing benefit office
  • council tax benefit/support office
  • council tax
  • collection of payment for council services
  • electoral services
  • blue badges
  • adult services
  • children’s services
  • council housing

Department for work and pensions 

  • pension, disability and carers service
  • jobcentre plus 
  • overseas health team

HM revenue and customs 

  • child benefit
  • child tax credit and working tax credit 
  • personal taxation

Other organisations

  • identity and passport service
  • driver and vehicle licensing agency
  • ministry of defence for service personnel and veterans agency
  • war pensions scheme

Also see

Comment on this page
Back to the top of the page