You can make an appointment with the Register Office to convert your civil partnership into a marriage by signing a declaration.
- your original civil partnership certificate
- some proof of identification and address
Converting a civil partnership into a marriage
- it costs £45 to convert a civil partnership into a marriage
- marriage certificates cost £4 at the time of the conversion, after that certificates increase in price
Converting a civil partnership into a marriage with a ceremony
You can convert a civil partnership into a marriage with a ceremony at the York Register Office or any approved venue. To do this you will need to pay £27 for the first stage of the process, which takes place at the Register Office.
- the fee for holding a ceremony at our office is £225 or £250 at an approved venue
- please make postal orders payable to 'City of York Council' or pay by card
- we do not accept cheques
When a civil partnership cannot be converted into a marriage
If you formed a civil partnership (or equivalent relationship) outside England and Wales, (i.e. abroad or in Scotland or Northern Ireland) you can't convert these into a marriage here.
You should seek legal advice on the options open to you.
You can obtain further information from the Gov.uk website.