Costs for birth, death and marriage certificates are:
- £4.00 for births, deaths and marriages in the current register, at or before the registration, or within 2 months of an inquest
- £7.00 for births, deaths and marriages which occurred in the last 2 months
Buying copy certificates from York Register Office
Complete a copy certificate application form to get:
- copy birth certificates
- copy marriage certificates
- copy civil partnership certificates
- copy death certificates
Return your application to York Register Office including a postal order for the appropriate fee, made payable to 'City of York Council' (we do not accept cheques).
Alternatively, you can:
- order certificates by telephone and pay by credit or debit card (terms and conditions apply)
- visit York Register Office office in person
Cost of copy certificates
On reciept of your application, cost of copy certificates sent from York Register Office are:
- £10.00 for certificates sent by second class post
- 18.00 for certificates sent next day by first class post
Certificates for events registered prior to 1837
Events recorded before 1 July 1837 may have been recorded in church baptismal, marriage and burial registers that may be in the custody of the local archivist, the Borthwick Institute.
Searching for birth, death and marriages certificates
A general search in birth, death and marriage indexes costs £18.00 - contact York Register Office for further details.
You can search online (for free) on the Yorkshire Births, Marriages and Deaths website. Although the indexes are not yet complete for all years and districts, the database will eventually cover Yorkshire births, deaths and marriages for the years 1837 to 2010.