Costs for birth, death and marriage certificates are:
- £4 for births, deaths and marriages in the current register, at or before the registration, or within 2 months of an inquest
- £7 for births, deaths and marriages which occurred in the last 2 months
Buying copy certificates
Complete a 'copy certificate application form' to get a copy of a standard birth, death or marriage certificate.
Return completed postal application forms to York Register Office and include a postal order for the appropriate fee, made payable to 'City of York Council' (we do not accept cheques).
Alternatively, you can:
- order certificates by telephone and pay by credit or debit card
- visit our office in person
- £10 for a certificate sent by second class post, within 2 weeks of receiving your application
- £18 for a certificate collected from our office later the same day (after 60 minutes), or sent by first class post, the same day that we receive your application
- £21 for a certificate applied for in person and supplied as soon as possible (usually within 30 minutes of your application)
- £31 for a certificate sent by guaranteed next day delivery (if you apply before 3.00pm)
Certificates for events registered prior to 1837
Events recorded before 1 July 1837 may have been recorded in church baptismal, marriage and burial registers that may be in the custody of the local archivist, The Borthwick Institute.
Searching for birth, death and marriages certificates
A general search in birth, death and marriage indexes costs £18, please ask for details.
You can search the indexes online for free on the Yorkshire Births, Marriages and Deaths website. Although the indexes are not yet complete for all years and districts, the database will eventually cover Yorkshire births, deaths and marriages for the years 1837 to 2010.