Re-registering a birth

You may need to re-register a birth for the following reasons:

  • the natural parents of a child have married each other since the birth occurred
  • only the mother's details were originally entered in the birth register, but now both parents wish to have their details entered
  • the mother has married or formed a civil partnership with the child's second female parent, after the birth has been registered

Applying to re-register a birth

Re-registration forms are available from any register office in England and Wales and after completion should be returned to the office where you wish to attend.

Fees for re-registering a birth

There is no charge for re-registration.

You may wish to obtain a birth certificate showing the re-registration details; see fees for birth, death and marriage certificates.

Also see

Comment on this page
Back to the top of the page