If your property has been adapted in some way to accommodate someone with a disability, then you may be entitled to a discount on your council tax account.
The bill payer or person liable to pay council tax should download and complete an application for a Disability-related Banding Reduction (DBR) discount for council tax.
The person with the disability must be living at the property for a DBR discount to be made.
The adaptations may include:
- adapting a ground floor living room into a bedroom
- creation of an additional bathroom
- creation of an additional kitchen
- creation of extra space in your property to meet special needs arising from a disability
If awarded, the DBR discount will be on the basis of a reduction to your council tax valuation band. Your bill may be reduced to the band immediately below your actual valuation level:
- if your property is in valuation band C, it will be reduced to valuation band B
- If your home is in Band A (the lowest level), your bill will be reduced by one-sixth of the Band A charge
You must continue to pay your bill on time until any discount is applied. If you default on payments you may face recovery action.
For further details on other council tax discounts and exemptions contact our Council Tax Team.
Council tax discounts for carers
Those who provide care at an address they share with a disabled person can apply for a caring for disabled persons council tax discount.