Council tax discounts and exemptions

Planned maintenance

We're making essential system updates on Wednesday 13 December between 7:30pm and 8:00pm - during this time some online services may be unavailable. We apologise for any inconvenience.

Depending on your circumstances, you may be entitled to a discount or a full exemption on your council tax bill.

For information about people who are exempt see guidance on who has to pay council tax on GOV.UK.

Some of the ways in which your circumstances might impact on your council tax bill are detailed here. For further guidance contact the council tax team.

Single Occupancy Discount

You may be eligible for Single Occupancy Discount if you're the only adult (18 years old and above) living in your home.

If you qualify, then you are entitled to a 25% reduction to your council tax bill.

Student discount or exemption

If you are in full-time education at a registered college or university, then you may be able to apply for a student council tax discount or exemption, depending on who else lives within your home address.

If you qualify, then you will be exempt from council tax as a student.

A charge may still be applicable at the property dependent on whether there are any other occupants, and if so whether they are also students.

Severe Mental Impairment exemption

Those with certain medical conditions may qualify for Severe Mental Impairment Exemption. Their carers may qualify for a Carer's Disregard.

We will award:

  • a 100% council tax exemption where someone is suffering from a severe mental impairment, lives alone and is liable for council tax
  • a 50% council tax disregard if they live with one qualifying carer
  • a 25% disregard if they live with one other person over the age of 18

Council Tax Support

If you are on a low income or unemployed you may qualify for Council Tax Support.

You can apply for Council Tax Support if you own your own home. If you are a tenant, a claim for Housing Benefit will automatically count as a claim for Council Tax Support.

Council Tax Discretionary Reduction

If you are struggling to pay your council tax bill, you may be able to apply for a reduction in your bill from the Council Tax Discretionary Reduction Scheme.

Also see

Comment on this page
Back to the top of the page