Universal Credit

Public notice

We are currently consulting on the Local Plan Publication draft - from Wednesday 21 February, to midnight on Wednesday 4 April 2018.

Take part in the consultation

If you need to make a new claim for benefits, in most cases you should now apply for Universal Credit for support with housing costs. In some cases, this will also apply to existing claimants who report a change in circumstances.

Universal Credit is a single monthly payment for those who are out of work or on a low income, and replaces six existing benefits:

  • Housing Benefit
  • Income-based Jobseeker’s Allowance
  • Income-related Employment and Support Allowance
  • Income Support
  • Working Tax Credit
  • Child Tax Credit

If you are a tenant, your payment will include an amount for your rent payment - but remember that you are responsible for paying rent to your landlord.

Making a claim for Council Tax Support

Universal Credit does not replace Council Tax Support, which is administered by us, so you should make a separate claim for this. If you pay Council Tax and you get Universal Credit, you will need to claim Council Tax Support or pay your Council Tax in full.

Find out if you can claim Universal Credit

Check the Universal Credit eligibility criteria to find out if you are eligible to claim Universal Credit.

Do not delay in making your claim as the Department for Work and Pensions (DWP) cannot backdate your claim except in exceptional circumstances.

If you are already claiming benefits, your Jobcentre Plus or Tax Credits office will tell you whether you should start claiming Universal Credit.

Making a claim for Universal Credit

You will need to make your claim for Universal Credit online and prove your identity.

Payments are made monthly in arrears directly into your account; if you don't already have one, find out more about setting up a new bank account.

Claim Universal Credit

Changes in circumstances for current benefit claimants

If you are currently receiving Housing Benefit, you will continue receiving your payments in the usual way, but you should let us know if your circumstances change.

Some changes in circumstances will mean that you will be able to claim Universal Credit rather than continue to receive Housing Benefit.

You may need to claim Universal Credit if any of the following apply to you:

  • you start a new job
  • you stop working or your working hours are reduced
  • you are signed off sick
  • you become a jobseeker after a period of sickness
  • your household becomes responsible for a child for the first time
  • you and your partner separate
  • you are a lone parent and a child under 5 permanently leaves your household

Universal Credit customer survey

We want to find out more about your experience of claiming Universal Credit so we can help to improve it.

Complete the Universal Credit customer survey

When you have completed the survey, you will be entered into a free prize draw to win a £10 voucher. You may submit one entry per household per month to be entered into the monthly free prize draw.

The survey and free prize draw close on 31 July 2018.

Also see

Comment on this page
Back to the top of the page