Let us know if something in your life changes which affects your benefits.
The law says you must tell us immediately if there is any change to the information we use to decide if you get Housing Benefit and Council Tax Support.
When you have reported your change of circumstance an evidence checklist will confirm what proof you need to provide. We may need to suspend payment of your claim to prevent any overpayment. If you fail to provide your evidence within one month your claim may be cancelled.
Please make sure you print off or save the evidence checklist after you submit your application.
Tell us about changes to:
- Your home details: for example if you change address, change your tenancy, or get a new landlord
- Your payments: for example who we pay benefit to, or the way benefit is paid
- Your circumstances and your partner’s circumstances: for example your name, job, the benefits you get, your income or savings
- The people you live with: for example their name, job, the benefits they get, their income or savings. Tell us if someone moves out or a new person moves in
- Your children: for example if you start or stop paying for childcare or the amount of childcare you pay has changed
If you’re not sure – tell us anyway.
Make sure you tell us as soon as possible. If you don’t you may not get what you’re entitled to. You may get too much and would have to pay it back – or even have your benefit stopped.
You could even face criminal charges for fraud.
Telling other benefit agencies about changes
Checking benefits are correct
We are required by law to ensure that your benefit claim is correct at all times. We have a process known as an 'intervention review' to ensure we are paying your benefit right.
Protecting your personal data
We're committed to protecting the information we hold about you. For information on data protection and how we share customer data see our privacy statement.