Change of circumstances and benefits

If your circumstances change, you must tell us immediately as it could affect your housing benefit or council tax support.

If you do not report your change immediately you could be overpaid housing benefit.

Telling us about changes

Tell us about any changes that relate to you, or anyone in your household, such as:

  • a changes in income (wages, benefits, pensions) or savings
  • income support starts or stops
  • a dependant child leaves school
  • rent changes
  • someone else comes to live with you
  • if you move house (changes in address)

Download forms to let us know about a change in circumstances.

Telling other benefit agencies about changes

If you claim pension credit, income support or jobseekers allowance you must also tell the Pensions Service and tell Jobcentre Plus about your any change of address.

Checking benefits are correct

We are required by law to ensure that your benefit claim is correct at all times. We have a process known as an 'intervention review' to ensure we are paying your benefit right.

Protecting your personal data

We're committed to protecting the information we hold about you. For information on data protection and how we share customer data see our privacy statement.

Also see

Comment on this page
Back to the top of the page