Claim housing benefit

Public notice

We are currently consulting on the Local Plan Publication draft - from Wednesday 21 February, to midnight on Wednesday 4 April 2018.

Take part in the consultation

If you need help to pay your rent, you can claim housing benefit. The quickest and easiest way to claim is to use our online form.

From 12 July 2017 most working age people will have to claim Universal Credit from the Department for Work and Pensions, which includes help with housing costs if you pay rent.

You will still have to claim Council Tax Support from the council.

If you proceed with this claim for Housing Benefit, we will tell you if you should be claiming Housing Benefit or Universal Credit.

Start or return to claim

The application is in three parts:

  • a calculator which can give you an idea of what you may be entitled to
  • the claim form
  • an evidence checklist to confirm what proofs you need to provide. Please make sure you print off or save the evidence checklist after you submit your application.

Housing benefit is normally paid from the Monday after you submit your online application. If you delay submitting your application you could risk losing benefit.

No payment of Housing Benefit will be made if you do not provide your evidence as soon as possible - if you fail to provide your evidence within one month your claim will be closed.

This form can also be used to:

  • see how much Council Tax Support you could get if you are the person who is responsible for paying the Council Tax for the home you live in
  • find out if you're entitled to Income Support, Pension Credit or Tax Credit
  • claim Council Tax Support

Who can claim housing benefit

Check the rules about who can claim housing benefit on GOV.UK.

If you are helping someone to make a claim for housing benefit, you can complete the claim form on their behalf.

Change of circumstances

You should also tell us if your circumstances change

Welfare Reform

The welfare and benefits information outlined on our website may be affected by the Government's Welfare Reform Act 2012. If you are awarded Housing Benefit and are subject to the benefit cap, we will write to you and let you know. This means that the amount of Housing Benefit quoted in the calculation on this website may be reduced.

Also see

Comment on this page
Back to the top of the page