Police officers and designated council officers, such as our Neighbourhood Enforcement Officers, can issue a 'Community Protection Notice' (CPN) to combat anti-social behaviour, such as:

  • littering
  • dog fouling
  • unsightly properties
  • noise

A CPN can be issued to any individual over the age of 16, business, or organisation whose conduct is:

  • having a detrimental effect on the quality of life in the local community
  • persistent
  • unreasonable

A written 'Community Protection Warning' (CPW) must be issued before a CPN can be issued.

A CPN will be issued if the CPW is not effective.

Receiving a Community Protection Warning (CPW)

An officer will issue a CPW if they believe that your behaviour is having a detrimental impact on the local community.

The CPW should make clear:

  • what that behaviour is
  • what you should do to change it

You can contact the officer who issued the warning and discuss it with them if anything is unclear.

The officer will monitor the situation to see if the behaviour stops. If it does, then no further action will be taken.

Receiving a Community Protection Notice (CPN)

An officer will issue a CPN if they have secured evidence to show that behaviour highlighted in the CPW is continuing.

They will also measure if the behaviour is:

  • persistent
  • unreasonable
  • having a detrimental effect on the quality of life in the local community

We will set out one or more requirements clearly in the CPN.

It may ask that you:

  • stop doing specified things
  • do specified things
  • take reasonable steps to achieve specified objectives

The authorised officer will then continue to monitor the situation. If the requirements of the CPN are kept, then no further action will be taken.

Breaching a Community Protection Notice

Breaching a CPN is a criminal offence. If appropriate, a Fixed Penalty Notice of £100 can be issued (£75 if paid within 10 days).

Otherwise, the individual or business may be prosecuted in a magistrates' court which could result in a fine of up to £2,500 for an individual or up to £20,000 for a business.

Paying a Fixed Penalty Notice

Instructions of how you should pay are included with the Fixed Penalty Notice.

You can make payments by post, by phone, or in person.

Appealing against a Community Protection Notice

To make an appeal, contact your local magistrates' court within 21 days of receiving the CPN; they will advise you what to do.

Also see

Comment on this page